Wherever one’s destination in Korea may be, check out some of these fascinating summer festival to help you forget the scorching heat. Summer is a time for fun vacations and outings with family and friends. For summer activities, the best of the best includes beach festivals like Boryeong Mud Festival in July, and Busan Sea Festival in August. There are also cultural festivals like Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival, where one can watch fantasy movies all night long; Incheon Pentaport Rock Festival, with performances by internationally famous rock musicians; and Gangjin Celadon Festival, which features a variety of ancient ceramics. With so many great festivals to choose from, it’s easy to find many ways to enjoy your summer in Korea.
Bonghwa Eun-Uh (Sweet Fish) Festival (봉화은어축제)
- Period: July 28 – August 4, 2018
- Venues: Areas of Naeseongcheon Stream and Sports Park in Bonghwa-eup, Bonghwa-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
- Description: This Summer festival is held in the pure waters of Naeseongcheon Stream in Bonghwa-gun. The main programs are catching sweet fish with a net or with just one’s bare hands, and sweet fish-related exhibits. Sweet fish are small freshwater fish with a light watermelon smell.
Busan Sea Summer Festival (부산바다축제)
- Period: August 1-5, 2018
- Venues: Haeundae Beach, Gwangalli Beach, Busan Songdo Beach, Songjeong Beach and Dadaepo Beach in Busan
- Description: The Busan Sea Summer Festival is a huge event that combines several events and festivals, such as a rock music festival, a beach dance festival, and a number of water sports. Take some time to relax and sunbathe on the beach before enjoying the many events available at each beach.
Jecheon International Music & Film Summer Festival(제천국제음악영화제)
- Period: August 9-14, 2018
- Venues: Areas of Megabox, Cheongpunghoban Lakeside Stage, Cultural Hall, and Uirimji Reservoir in Jecheon-si, Chungcheongbuk-do
- Description: The Jecheon International Music & Film Summer Festival showcases films with a music theme. The opening movie is chosen among those that best represent the festival’s theme, while the closing movie is the winner of the World Music Film Today category. In addition to watching several recent music films, various types of musicians will perform on stage.
Tongyeong Great Battle of Hansan Summer Festival (통영한산대첩축제)
- Period: August 10-14, 2018
- Venues: Areas of Cultural Plaza, Tongjeyeong and Yi Sun-sin Park in Tongyeong-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
- Description: The Tongyeong Great Battle of Hansan Festival is held to commemorate the patriotism of Admiral Yi Sun-sin (1545-1598), who led his people to victory during the Imjin War (1592-1598). The festival features exhibitions related to Yi Sun-sin, as well as ocean sports and hands-on experiences such as making models of geobukseon (iron-clad turtle ship built by Admiral Yi during the Imjin War) and arrows.
Incheon Pentaport Rock Festival (인천 펜타포트 락페스티벌)
- Period: August 10-12, 2018
- Venue: Songdo Dalbit Festival Park in Incheon
- Description: Incheon Pentaport Rock Festival is a must-visit for rock fans. This annual Summer festival invites famous rock artists from Korea and overseas to perform on the large outdoor stage. In addition to listening to the music, concert-goers will enjoy the many off-stage events like flash mobs taking place. The festival is especially popular among people in their 20’s and 30’s. Artists coming this year include Nine Inch Nails, Mike Shinoda, The Bloddy Beetroots, Suchmos, THE KOXX, and many more.